Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Confessions Of A Shopaholic?


I was suppose to write this blog two weeks ago,when I watched Confessions Of A Shopaholic starring Isla Fisher (pronounced with a silent 's') over at Robinson's Movieworld Ermita, the New Wing called "Midtown". 

It was kind of funny but predictable. Already in her 30's, Isla Fisher plays Rebecca Bloomwood, reminded me of other previous movies that almost had the same story. But she is really hot. Girl loses job, gets a new job, a new wardrobe, a love interest and then falls in love with the cute boss.

Has anyone heard about Bridget Jones Diary? Or how about Legally Blond? Similar story lines different actresses. But the main focus here is her uncontrollable urge to use her credit cards. Maxing out all her credit cards for a debt worth a little over $16,000 Usd Dollars converted to Php Philippine Pesos would be a little over P 775,000 . Whoa, thats already a new car.

Buying signature brands like Prada, Gucci, Dolce Gabana just to name a few, would really set you back by that much. A bag here of one of those designer brands cost 30 to 50K. I would'nt be surprised at all.

Looking back I had my own share of credit card problem a few years ago. I started in 1996 or 97, with just one plastic. Then suddenly it became 4 credit cards. But I never had a situation when I maxed out, I knew how much my spending power is.

At first you feel empowered to have your own credit card at such a young age and you could literally buy or pay for anything you want and just sign. You go to any store open your wallet and ask do you accept cards? It was this certain level where you feel you could purchase anything even when you don't have that money at all. Everyone at that certain point in your life was young and stupid. 

I went on a shopping spree, bought some stuff sometimes I really never needed. Then when the bill came it was like a nightmare. How can I pay for all these? So they had this scheme where you can have your credit card bill payed by another credit card company. But you have to get a new card from them and pay the easy or lite way. 

So in no time I was just paying the bills and before I knew it all of my monthly salary ends up with the credit cards. With the high interest sometimes you wished you never purchased the thing or had the balance transfered. 

So one by one I had to stop this madness. It has to end. Some friends told me they never payed their bill or just dissappeared. You won't go to jail for that matter, they would never spend this much on lawyers and collectors for a small amount.

But I had a conscience, so I payed up and settled the bill. 

I remembered the scene when Isla was being stalked already by the bill collector. It never did came to that point but I had the fear of that, there was this law firm that called me up and he was intimidating me. He yelled at me, he was psyching me out and I also had the fear of going to jail. But these guys are really good at what they do, I almost wanted to see him face to face and punch him in the nose when I have the oppurtunity.

So they made a deal that if I payed this amount they would'nt charge interest anymore. But it was a one time deal meaning I have to settle the amount right away. Not partial payments but the amount in full at a discounted rate.

So now I'm credit card debt free. I only check out the sales and discounted prices. For major purchases I make sure that its zero interest free. THE LESSON HERE IS NEVER BUY ANYTHING WHEN YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY.

I like the scene when she was breaking the ice on her frozen credit card, talk about freezing your assets. He-he. All in all it was a feel good movie, the opening scene it was kind of weird.
She was probably 7 or 8 years old when she first saw a lady using plastic "magic cards"for purchasing an item. She made a pact that one day she will also have a credit card of her own. 

By the way I don't use credit cards anymore. More of like debit cards if you dont have the dough its no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment