Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Strike Anywhere

What happens to a radio dj,when he loses his J-O-B? Yeah, that's right. You heard me job. Or better yet his life or world. It's like a fish out of water, a day without sunshine. How can I forget that day? It keeps playing sometimes in my head. An endless flashback. The year was 2002, a lot of radio stations were either closing or reformatting like 89DMZ now Wave 89.1 . Even Superman met his match with Doomsday and Charles Barkley retired from the NBA.

We are talking about super heroes here getting killed in action or just losing his powers. My life is not a comic book... And sometimes faith has decided to end it. Man, I was just getting started. I was just getting the breaks I need.

We were given the boot, the pink slip. We did'nt even had the chance to say goodbye at least. No farewell or bye-bye song that I used to play before I go. Ouch, pretty harsh aint it. All the love, the loyalty, the life I gave for that radio station. DM 955.

All the hits that we made... All the songs played ...
Good things come to an end they say...

I wonder if they still remember me? Rick Stryker

Well, life goes on. A lot of different jobs came by... I tried being a customer service associate or plainly a call center agent. A freelance voiceover announcer for corporate events. A host for mall shows and bar tours. A resident dj at Ratsky's Morato and Malate.

And I got stuck in being a venue announcer or a coliseum barker for almost all the leagues.
I started with the NBL, then a short stint with the PBA, and the PBL , during the off season the NCAA and sometimes the UAAP.

I always wanted to be a basketball player but it's pretty close. he-he. ;P




1 comment:

  1. Nice message. I'm touched. Love it Rick...

    Andy Gold here... I'm back...

    ReplyDelete